Files are the backbone of all computers. Without files, there would be no data to back us up, no settings to change, and little to nothing that can be done with your computer. The problem is that files can be messy and hard to find. However, this doesn’t mean you should just give up on finding them. With a few simple tricks and a bit of patience, you’ll soon be able to locate every file on Windows 10 without any problems.
What is a hidden file?
A hidden file is a file that is not visible to the user. That doesn’t necessarily mean the file isn’t there, it just means that the user doesn’t have access to it. In Windows 10, you can easily find these files and make them visible by using a variety of methods.
The importance of files on your computer
Files are the backbone of all computers and without them, there would be no data to back us up, no settings to change, and little to nothing that can be done with your computer. The problem is that files can be messy and hard to find. However, this doesn’t mean you should just give up on finding them. With a few simple tricks and a bit of patience, you’ll soon be able to locate every file on Windows 10 without any problems.
If you’re not savvy at searching through files for what you need, here are some tips for locating all your important files so that you don’t have to worry about losing any of them.
1. Create a folder called “Documents” in the root directory of your drive and open it
2. Find the file you’re looking for by typing in the name of your file
3. If it’s not found as an icon while scrolling through folders or when using File Explorer search bar, use “Command + Shift + F” to open the Command Prompt on Windows 10 (without pressing Enter)
4. Type in “dir /a-d /b-h > filename” (without quotes) then press Enter on Command Prompt in order to search for all unseen files
5. When finished searching through the entire directory path
6. Press Enter again for which ever option was chosen
How to find hidden files in Windows 10
Step 1: Navigate to the “Search” tab in the search bar.
Step 2: Type in the file name you’re looking for and click on the magnifying glass icon.
Step 3: In the list that appears, locate your file by scrolling down until you see it.
Step 4: Right-click on your desired file and select “Properties.”
Step 5: In the properties window, check to see if there is a box near the bottom that says “Read Only.” If so, then close this window and move on to Step 6.
Step 6: Navigate to C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Packages\file_1 (where 1 is the filename of your file) and copy this folder’s contents into a new folder called “MyFiles” or something similar.
Once you’ve done this, open up File Explorer again and navigate to C:\Users\YourUserName\. This will now reveal every single file in your computer.
Tips for finding hidden files in Windows 10
1. Right-click on the Desktop and select New > Text Document
2. Type in the file name or path you’re trying to find that isn’t showing up in Windows Explorer
3. Select Ctrl+F and type in the text document you just created
4. Click on the Show hidden files and folders option in order to view every folder under C:\
How do I open hidden files?
You can either find the hidden file in Explorer by going to this folder: %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer or you can go to the View tab and click on Hidden Items.
If you’re looking for a specific file, your best bet is to use one of the search tools found in Windows 10. You can also use Windows Search to find any file on your computer.
How do I close folders?
Once you’ve located a folder that needs closing, right click it and select “Close” from the popup menu. If you don’t see this option, go to File Explorer > Options > General Tab and then select Close when done with this folder.
Does Windows 10 have a backup feature?
Yes, Microsoft has introduced a new backup feature into Windows 10 called File History. It is accessed by going to Settings > Update & Security > Backup and selecting Configure Automatic Backups.
You can easily find hidden files on your computer with the help of a few simple steps.
However, it is important to note that this process is irreversible. Be sure to back-up your files before you find them.